Thursday, March 6, 2014

Gravity

This week I am reviewing the vastly underrated film, Gravity. Now, I say underrated here referring specifically to the public, critics loved the film. I may also want to narrow the "public" down to some men in particular in my personal social circle. Viewing the film, these men were not able to keep focus or stay interested in the film, possibly because they have very short attention spans, and also possibly because there were no car chases or gun fights. Before I digress too far here, I will educate and inform these members of the public and all alike on the wonders of this film. 
Sandra Bullock, who I adore, is Gravity, as stated by the director of the film in the past Academy Awards show, to which the Miss Congeniality (fitting for her character) star became visibly emotional. Bullock performs with such intensity and emotion that, if you are not only partial to car chases and gun fights, you cannot help but become riveted, and emotionally invested in the outcome of the film. 

Although the film does surround at most two characters and takes place entirely in the same or similar environments of space, I was blown away by the film, the ending perhaps especially. That being said though, as Bullock is the main character, and for much of the film the only character, it was really her performance I was hooked on. The emotional aspects of her personal life added to the dialogue of the film was presented as a memoir. Her journey through past, to thoughts and doubt of the future, and back to living in her current distressed environment are presented in a way that made me feel as if I was witnessing a private moment between Bullock and her experiences in life. I found myself praying fiercely that her journey would end well. That type of emotional connection to a film and fictional character can not be achieved in many films, nor can it be presented by many actors or actresses. The weak moments, strong moments, sad moments and incredibly happy moments make this film one of the best I have seen. I had not witnessed such a real performance in a long time, and it was refreshing to see such talent in a person who has had some past troubles and issues, and has only blossomed into a successful better, happier version of herself beyond them. 

I give this movie one cupcake because, especially if you happen to be in a relationship with a typical male, the point may be fully grasped by another viewer, and the cry is a very necessary part of viewing this film. Don't forget to check out the trailer below!



7 comments:

  1. I had the honour of watching the Academy Awards with Collin Chilvers, Cscar winner for special effects on Superman (and he has worked on many spectacular projects.) His nephew was up for an Academy Award for special (visual) effects work on Gravity and he WON! It truly is an underrated movie, though it seems the Academy caught on to it's greatness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally love Sandra Bullock as an actress. I think she is amazing and I always enjoy watching her perform in different roles. After the Oscars on Sunday and watching Gravity win many awards, I am definitely adding it to my list of movies I must watch. It appears to be an interesting film and with some of the feedback you have provided, I am looking forward to the outcome of Gravity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know about the guys you know, but I have to agree somewhat with you. When I told my husband I wanted to watch Gravity on the payperview, he reluctantly agreed, only after I agreed to watch a movie HE wanted to see (Escape Plan with Sly Stalone) I didn't let on this was a winwin for me....I love action movies and this was one of Stalone's better ones, but then Gravity started. I LOVED it. It touches so many emotional levels in everyone who sees it. and yes....my husband admitted afterwards that even HE enjoyed it!!! I'm sorry Sandra Bullock didn't win, but as far as I am concerned it should have been a tie with 12 Years a Slave for best actress Oscar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be honest, I feel just the opposite - I really tried to give it a fair shot (got about an hour in) but I couldn't make it through to the end. I felt there was lots of action but the plot didn't appeal to me or was too drawn out. Perhaps if I had the patience to make it to the end I might have liked it better, but I don't know, I feel it was overpraised rather than underrated.

    BTW - your blog itself is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What?! How were they bored?! Gravity was one of the most intense theatre-viewing experiences I've ever had.

    Yes, the plot is barebones, but that's exactly what you should expect: it's a survival story. Cast Away had just as much plot and everyone loved that damn volleyball, so what's the difference?

    It actually gets more interesting/emotional if you view it from a different perspective:

    *SPOILERS*

    If Sandra Bullock dies when she runs out of oxygen. The Chinese space station Tiangong translates to Heavenly Palace and when she lands, it's in a lake surrounded by lush green fields...

    My point is, this is a fantastic blog (and I'm glad you enjoyed Gravity)!

    -J-

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jarrod, all I can say is, my boyfriend has a relationship I don't understand with Xbox One, so I have to appreciate our differences in film choice. He slept in the theatre through this movie, as did my sister when she saw it, but she is 19 and can't appreciate the complexity and emotions in this film. They are of a similar kind.
    Thank you all for the feedback, I enjoyed hearing the different opinions on this film!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love a healthy film debate! I like your review, I have to admit I have not seen the film though! I love watching movies, and I really like the idea for your blog! I'll have to go see Gravity now to participate in the discussion. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete