Monday, March 17, 2014

The Hunger Games

This week I am reviewing the film The Hunger Games starring the lovely Jennifer Lawrence. This film is the first in a series based on a novel trilogy of the same title. Prior to the films inception I had read the trilogy, and as in general, I was skeptical of the film because I always favour the novel. Considering this bias, I was rather impressed by the film. In particular, I really did love Jennifer's portrayal of Katniss Everdeen. Initially, I was unsure of this choice, but after finishing the film I could not imagine another actress playing the role. This series is based on a dystopian world where there has been much ruin to world as we would know it today, and there are no countries but districts. Different from today, each district is poor, only the "Capitol" is wealthy. This is where the acting government or ruling forces live, and control the rest of the world. Each district is responsible for different industry and it's production. Examples include District One, where our main character Katniss Everdeen is from, is responsible for the "Luxury" industry which consists entirely of mining for precious metals and platinum. District Two is responsible for gold mining, District Three for Technology particular computer hardware, Four for fishing, Ten for livestock and so on. These districts benefit very little from their work as the vast majority of all product goes to the Capitol. In the midst of this oppression, a televised annual event called the Hunger Games takes place. This event is a battle to the death which takes place in a different virtual environment each year, consisting of different members of each district which are selected based on the number of times they have needed government/capitol support to feed their families. Katniss Everdeen proves to be a heroin in this film, standing up for her family and District and going against the wishes of the Capitol in her trial of the Hunger Games. I found this film to be a fair portrayal of the novel and overall I enjoyed it. I would give this movie three cupcakes!
Check out the trailer below!


5 comments:

  1. I actually had prv'd the first hunger games and watched it just before watching the 2nd and now can't wait for the 3rd one. Great casting and I love the movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the book before I watched the movie too, so I completely shared your anxiety. But like you, I thought the movie was great and you just can't beat Jennifer Lawrence! Love her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not read these books but I have seen both of the movies. Jennifer Lawrence is such a great actress, she really made the movie. I really enjoyed these movies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not read the books, but I have seen the movies with my little brother (who has read the books) and we both liked the films, so that says a lot about it. You honestly cannot go wrong with Jennifer Lawrence though. Great Blog Jessyca

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't call myself a hardcore fan, but did enjoy watching the movies very much.
    Jennifer Lawrence did a great job in her role in the movies. Can't wait to see the next one!

    ReplyDelete