Monday, March 3, 2014

Dallas Buyers Club

Today my film of choice to review is Dallas Buyers Club. I hope I am not always completely transparent in which reviewed films I enjoy the most, I do not wish to be completely biased in my opinions after all, but this movie was fantastic. The film itself is controversial in its storyline and ultimate goal to voice concern for the medical retail industry, and of the American medication approval system, the FDA or Food and Drug Administration. As all medication needs to be approved by this administration before it can be administered or sold to the public, there is much controversy surrounding the procedures and policies that allow some forms of medication to be approved, and others not. The controversy itself suggests that the approval is skewed by visions of financial gain when products are introduced to the administration. 
Dallas Buyers Club highlights the opinion of controversy, and shares insight with the public into a struggling community battling AIDS in the 1980’s and 1990’s. The story follows our main character, Ron Woodruff played by Matthew McConaughey on his journey to fight his illness and find medication by the FDA that improves his health, lessens his symptoms, and creates a comfortable quality of life. The medication McConaughey finds is unapproved, but the medication being administered in hospitals is given in doses too high to be beneficial, resulting in a breakdown of the patients already weakened immune system, resulting in death. The main character finds ways to administer this unapproved drug to others facing the illness, and thus Dallas Buyers Club is given life.
The role is played to perfection my McConaughey and leads viewers to be drawn into the emotional aspect of every person battling the illness, and especially to the LGBT community fighting for equality and respect in the midst. The friendships developed through the help and advocacy brought to the LGBT community by McConaughey is touching, real, and necessary to be brought to life in film. This film is moving, controversial and incredibly interesting.
I give this movie 4 cupcakes! Tune in next week for my humble opinion on film, and watch the trailer below!

7 comments:

  1. After the oscars I have to see this movie and after your review I know I have to see it ASAP. I find the story line to be incredibly interesting. I love how this movie is bringing light onto a disease that affects millions of people around the world. I can't wait to see this movie. Thanks for awesome review. PS- I love the added bonus of the clip.

    -Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you feel about McConaughey winning the Oscar for this role? I haven't had a chance to see the whole film yet but I am definitely motivated to after your post. Great blog, I love the different approach to rating films with cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this movie and absolutely LOVED it. Jared Leto was FANTASTIC. Although I am not a huge fan of Matthew McConaughey, he did a great job and lost over 60 lbs for the role. The fact that it is a true story makes it even better as far as I am concerned. Apparently this movie was made with an extremely small budget too, so it really is the little engine that could....
    Watch it....it's a great story about the fight against bureaucracy
    .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Joanna, I certainly encourage you to watch! Adrianna I feel that McConaughey deserved the Oscar, although each nominee was deserving as well in their own right. The movie is truly well done, an absolutely convincing and moving performance by Matthew, and Jared Leto was another actor who exceeded expectations and contributed to the terrific outcome. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to see this movie, it won a lot of Oscars and caught my interest over the weekend. Tanks for the review Jessyca I will for sure have to watch it now, good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn´t know what the movie was about, but after watching parts of The Oscars I was curious. So Thanks for the review. Is it based on a real story, or not really?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw this movie and absolutely loved it. Both Jared Leto and Matthew McConaughey deserved the Oscars that they got. It was a movie full of emotion and at times hard to watch but it was a very important movie and I'm so happy that it finally got made. And yes Laura, the movie is based on a real story and real people.

    ReplyDelete