Saturday, February 15, 2014

Captain Phillips

Today’s review will be of the film Captain Phillips starring the great Tom Hanks, recognized for his incredible portrayals of real life emotion in film. Hence Castaway (a must see film if one is unfamiliar). The story itself is based on true events of a 2009 cargo ship hijacking in Somalia. Captain Richard Phillips and his crew were on board throughout the ordeal, and the story follows while Captain Phillips through his mission to protect his crew, while risking his life for them in the process. The story is riveting and incredibly moving. The journey a viewer is taken on is one of shocking discovery and developed understanding of life for Somalians and the desperation felt by the citizens living in poverty. Captain Phillips's tale is one of heroics and personal sacrifice for the greater good of his crew, his family on the sea.
One very interesting fact about this film is Hanks co-star in the film, Barkhad Abdi is a Mogadishu, Somailia native, and prior to entering the film industry in his award winning role in Captain Phillips, worked as a limousine driver, store clerk and disc jockey in Minnesota. The awards Abdi was nominated for are: Academy Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role, Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actor – Motion Picture, BAFTA Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role, Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role, National Society of Film Critics Award for Best Supporting Actor, Broadcast Film Critics Association Award for Best Supporting Actor. 
I give this movie 4 cupcakes!


View the trailer beside for a sneak peek of the movie, farewell for now my movie lovers, keep posted for my next review!

5 comments:

  1. When I watched this movie, I found it so true to life. I was caught up in the story line so much that every time a dramatic moment happened, I jumped. Tom Hanks is a GREAT actor and he certainly carried this movie, it is a shame he was skipped over for an Oscar.
    Keep up the good work, i'll keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm currently reading a book on Somalian pirates, so I'm dying to see this movie! Thanks for the review and the interesting facts on Barkhad Abdi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great actor, great flick ! It is hard for me to compare any character to Tom's "Josh" in Big (hehe).
    Hanks character in Captain Phillips is strong, humble, courageous and extremely likeable.

    "Wilsonnnn, Wilsonnnnn!" - little Castaway joke, no? okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Captain Philips, although I heard the film stretched the reality of the incident a bit - I was crying like a baby at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolute loved this movie. I followed the events pretty closely when they happened in real life and was excited when I found out they were making a movie. Also cupcake rating system! awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete